Learn - Grow - Share - Repeat
I currently offer four options to become more actively involved in the Practical Stoic community via Patreon. See below for details of my pledge tiers and the associated benefits.
MONTHLY PLEDGE: $5
SPOTS AVAILABLE: UNLIMITED
Practicing temperance in all that you do? Every dollar counts, so thank you so much for your kind patronage! Here's what you'll receive in return:
- Access to all 239 episodes of the Practical Stoic Podcast recorded between 2017 and 2020
MONTHLY PLEDGE: $10
SPOTS AVAILABLE: UNLIMITED
If you're looking to get more involved in the Practical Stoic Community then the Justice tier is a great start. You'll get all the benefits of the Temperance tier as well as:
- Access to weekly Practical Stoic Meetups via Zoom. See below for the meetup schedule.
MONTHLY PLEDGE: $20
SPOTS AVAILABLE: 40
If you're feeling courageous, then this is the tier for you. Along with all the benefits of the Temperance and Justice tiers, you'll receive:
- Access to exclusive live Zoom interviews/Q&As with modern Stoic leaders.
- You'll be an official sponsor of the Practical Stoic Podcast in the months of your patronage.
MONTHLY PLEDGE: $50
SPOTS AVAILABLE: 10
If you have the wisdom to know just how valuable my work is then this is the tier for you. Along with all previous benefits of Temperance, Justice and Courage tiers, you'll receive:
- A half-hour call with me each month.
- You'll be listed in my first book as a valued patron.
Below you'll find a full schedule of upcoming meetups and live interviews within my Patreon community.
The Practical Stoic Meetup
The Practical Stoic Meetup is all about coming together to share ideas and experiences, and to learn and grow with common purpose. Each week Simon or other group members present lessons and also engage in group discussion. See below for upcoming lesson topics.
July 5, 2020 7am (AEST)
Meetup Topic: Seneca on the Madness of Crowds
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, VII & XIV
- How can we effectively be in the crowd but not of the crowd?
- What are some similarities between the crowds Seneca talked about and those we see today?
July 12, 2020 7am (AEST)
Meetup Topic: Seneca on Fear
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, XIII & XLIX
- What does Seneca teach you about fear?
- When have you overcome fear in your own life, and how did you do it?
July 19, 2020 7am (AEST)
Meetup Topic: Moral Progress
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, XXXII, XXXVII, XX & XLII
- What does Seneca teach you about making effective moral progress?
- How have you managed to maintain positive character changes?
July 26, 2020 7am (AEST)
Meetup Topic: The God Within Us
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, XLI
- What is Seneca's conception of "God" in this epistle?
- How could this world view be helpful/harmful?
August 2, 2020 7am (AEST)
Meetup Topic: The Supreme Good
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, LXXI, XXVII
- What is Seneca's idea of the supreem good?
- How do you distinguish good?
August 9, 2020 (AEST)
Meetup Topic: The Philosopher's Task
Reading: Seneca's Epistles, LXIV
- What is the philosopher's task, according to Seneca?
- WHat is your duty as a student of philosophy?
Practical Stoic Live Interviews
Practical Stoic Live is an opportunity for my patrons to get even closer to my guests by watching interviews live on Zoom and asking questions in our Q&A section. And if you can't make it? No worries! You can still submit a question. See below for a list of upcoming guests.
INTERVIEW TOPIC: The Art of Friendship
DATE AND TIME: TBA
Sharon Lebell is a philosophical writer and musician from Northern California. Her book, "The Art of Living", is a collection of modern translations of some of Epictetus' best teachings that has served as a source of inspiration for Stoics all around the world for over 20 years.
INTERVIEW TOPIC: Fate and benevolent providence in Stoicism
DATE AND TIME: July 13th, 2020 @ 6am Brisbane Time
Faculty member at the College of Stoic Philosophers (FCSP)
Professor Emeritus, Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Licensed Psychologist, Germany
Licensed Autogenic Training/Meditation Councellor
Go-Dan (5th degree black belt) in Aikido, Instructor
Certified Advanced Hanggliding Instructor; USHGA
Officer of the reserve in the German Army
Frigga's Web Association, Trustee; USA
CIO in Fortune 500 Utility Companies in the USA
Published author in peer reviewed books and journals on Cognitive Science
Speaker and author on digital transformation in the utility industry
"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men." - Herman Melville